2012-10-22

Ubuntu 12.10 on Nokia Booklet 3G

This release of Ubuntu works out of the box or at least should work. I just upgraded from my previous installation and it seems to work just fine.

If you used my previous instructions to install Ubuntu 12.04, you need remove few files before upgrading to 12.10. First one to delete is /etc/apt/preferences.d/quantal-kernel and second one is /etc/apt/sources.list.d/quantal.list. After this you can just run update manager to upgrade to 12.10.

By default gnome-shell and unity use software 3d rendering pipeline that is fairly slow. So you need to use some desktop environment that is more light weight and does not require 3d acceleration. For example: classic gnome without effects.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much! I've been waiting for Ubuntu to have native support for the GMA500 graphics card before installing it on my Booklet (since I tried Ubuntu in the past and somehow couldn't get the workarounds to work... so I got rid of Ubuntu :[). Are there any modifications, besides using a more lightweight desktop, that you would recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry not replying earlier. For some reason I did not get notified that there are any comments :(

      So far I haven't made any modification apart from using classic gnome without effects. Though I have been testing Enlightenment 17 and it feels nice and fast enough. I'm going to write a short post about experiences with it quite soon. So stay tuned :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Miko,

    How to enable KVM in nokia booklet bios? It sometime hang during restart 12.10 with error message "kvm disabled bios"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abdul,

    I tried KVM in my setup and it seems that Intel-VT technology in Atom Z530 is not capable enough for running KVM. I didn't go any deeper to find out what is the actual reason. In the end Atom in Booklet is fairly low end so I wouldn't expect any second operating system running that well on top of KVM with this HW.

    ReplyDelete